Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Outside Reading Blog #5

I am reading the novel, Outliers, by Malcolm Gladwell. For this blog read pages 160 through 220 and I wanted to follow up on my old letter and write a new one on the things I have read since the old letter. Here it goes:

Dear Mr.Gladwell,
my name is Jason Swenson and this is the second letter I have sent to you. I am reading your novel, Outliers, which I believe is a fantastic and interesting novel, and I was wondering if I could ask you a few questions. I have tested some of your theories on me and people in my life to see if they were spot on. I came to some bumps in the road on your topic of why people are successful in school (Read Blog #1). You see, I am one of the youngest kids in my grade and I have never had the situations given to the younger side of a grade occur to me. I feel in no way less mature or intelligent to my peers. Not saying I believe I am better but I am not worse. So how do you explain that your theory isn't right in this case? You seem to believe that success has nothing to do with personal merit and I fully agree with your beliefs, but there must be something personal involved if I am a younger one and I am not what you think, "younger=no success". Maybe I just have not looking back far enough or tried to find reasons for this but also you maybe have to say peronal things do have to do with it. Anyways, I don't want to have you sitting, reading a letter all day written by someone who doesn't even have their high school diploma. That would just be a waste of your time that could be spent reaching those 10,000 hours of writting you need to perfect and master it. I also want to know how such ideas come up in your head. You have written two other novels that I have read that have been just as interesting as the one I am reading right now. How do you come up with such thinking-outside-the-box type novels that all have such an interesting perspective? You must have spent 10,000 hours on thinking differently, lived around inventors and engineers, living in the industrial revolution when new ideas flourished. That is me talking in your way and trying to create something the way you do. I hope you can answer the questions and reach me as soon as possible.

-Jason

No comments: